Thursday 23 October 2014

In The Family - Part 4




I can’t believe I did all that for nothing.” I picked up the newspaper and threw it down again on the kitchen table. “I took drugs. Do you know how often I’ve taken drugs in my life?”
I’m guessing, never,” Sid said.
You’re right,” I said. After I’d finally come down from my unwanted sojourn in chemical heaven and we’d discovered that I hadn’t even been mentioned in the paper today, much less been exposed as a sparkling, flaming, possibly even coruscating queer, we’d gone back to Sid and Donato’s house to try and work out what was going on. “Not recreationally, anyway. And I had a bloody dope test I didn’t need to. How’s that going to look if anyone finds out about it?”
It’s not going to be a problem,” Donato said. “You had a good reason for it. And surely better to do that than the alternative?”
Except the alternative hasn’t happened,” I said.
It’s strange,” Donato said. “What else would the reporter have wanted apart from that?”
“Haven't got a clue,” I said. “None of this makes any sense at all.”
We should have it out with that reporter,” Sid said.
I could ring the paper,” I said. “Tell them I want to give an interview about my new signings - like Yves said - ask them to send him round.”
Then we can tie him to chair and make him tell us what he is playing at,” Donato said.
On the other hand,” I went on as common sense kicked in, “we could wait until the paper comes out tomorrow. It’s possible he couldn’t get his story in today’s edition. It was pretty late when we left the last club.”
Well, if it is in tomorrow’s paper, that’s better,” Sid said. “I mean better than today’s. Because you’ve already had the dope test and everything, there’s no way it could look like we set it up.”
Let’s hope he had second thoughts,” I said. “Perhaps my, uh, social life is so boring it’s not worth writing about. I’m going to bed anyway. Oh, no I’m not. I’m in the wrong house.”
No problem,” Sid said. “You can stay here. It’s better, in case you have a reaction from the drugs and start being sick on the floor or something.”
You say the sweetest things,” I muttered.
Sid laughed. “You can sleep in my bed,” he said. “I’ll bring you some warm milk.”
Urgh,” I said. “Drink it yourself. I don’t like that filthy stuff.”
That drug does not leave the boss in a very good mood,” Donato remarked.
No, he’s worse than usual,” Sid said. “Cuppa tea?”
Yes, thanks,” I said. “Sorry.”
Not a problem,” he said and went away into the kitchen. I took myself off to bed. I was still feeling strange. Floaty. Unlike I’d expected, I seemed to be able to remember everything I’d done while under the influence. Of course, if I’d forgotten something, I wouldn’t know I couldn’t remember it. Would I?
I wasn’t too happy about what I could remember either, since some of what I’d done was quite embarrassing. I was sure I’d been far too affectionate with various of my players at various times. I was going to have to sit down at some point in the near future and decide what I thought about having all these members of the team find out about my sexuality. But not now. I was too tired.
I scarcely managed to drink half my tea before I fell asleep, after being given a spare toothbrush by Sid and a pair of pyjamas by Donato. I woke again in the early hours to find the room dark and full of breathing.
Breathing? There was mine - and - by the moonlight shining through the half-drawn curtains I saw Sid, fast asleep in an armchair, wearing an old Superdry hoodie and trackie pants in lieu of pyjamas, his stockinged feet up on the bed.
I smiled. Then I lay down again and reached out, taking one of his feet in my hand.
Eh?” he said.
Sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you.”
What’s the matter?” He was staring at me anxiously through the gloom.
Nothing. I just - I have no idea what I’m doing. I woke up.”
Go back to sleep.”
Aren’t you uncomfortable?”
No, I’m fine.”
But this bed…” I paused.
What’s wrong with my bed?” Sid asked.
It’s a double.”
Yeah, well. You never know. Might get lucky.”
What I mean is,” I went on, “there’s room for you in it.”
What, me sleep with you?” Sid’s eyes popped wide open. “You’re joking, right?”
Uh, yes, I suppose so,” I said. I could feel my face heating up. My own fault. I shouldn’t have - I was far too old for him. And I’d never been very attractive, even when I was younger. I’d kept my body in pretty much the same shape it always was, but bony and intense was the best you could say for my face. Not that I was asking him to sleep with me for any untoward reason, I told myself hastily. Just so he’d be comfortable.
It’d be bad manners, wouldn’t it, me sleeping with the gaffer,” Sid was saying.
Oh, is that what’s bothering you?” I asked.
Well, yeah, what else?”
I have no idea. And if I don’t mind about it, why should you? It’s your bed, after all. I shan’t be able to sleep thinking I’ve turfed you out of it into a chair.”
Oh well. If you want.” Sid pulled off his outer layer while I pretended not to look. He was still wearing his briefs and a t-shirt and apparently intended to keep on wearing them. Did he not have pyjamas? Did he normally sleep naked? That probably wasn’t something I should think about too much right now.
We lay in bed together for a few moments, getting used to the idea. I tried to remember the last time I’d actually slept in a bed with somebody else and came up blank.
We recorded the match for you,” Sid said. “Holland vee Mexico.”
Thanks,” I said. “Any good?”
I’ve not seen it myself yet,” Sid said. “I heard about the result long and loud from Wes on Facebook, but that’s all. We can watch it together when there’s a bit of spare time. If we can avoid seeing the score anywhere. People are always telling you the bloody score.”
I thought Wes already told you that?”
Yeah, but he didn’t tell you, did he? So you can watch it without knowing what’s going to happen.”
Oh. Thanks.”
No problem.”
We should really get some training done in the morning,” I said. “We can buy a paper on the way and see if the worst has happened.”
It’s not the worst,” Sid said. “The worst would be, I dunno, an earthquake and everyone falls into big cracks in the ground and dies or something. Or the Zombie Apocalypse. Have you seen The Walking Dead?”
That’s a terrible programme,” I said. “I mean, it’s good, but so depressing. You start to wonder why they’re going on at all.”
That’s what people do,” Sid said. “Even if they’re miserable. They hope for better.”
Was Sid miserable? I wondered. He had the same problems I did, didn’t he? Difficult to meet anyone you liked and then what did you do with them when you did meet them?
He had his mum to deal with as well. As far as I knew, he went to see her every day, sometimes more than once, and did all her shopping and so on. No wonder if he sometimes got miserable. Was there anything I could do about it? I didn’t know. Maybe I’d give his Belgian goalkeeper a job. That would probably cheer him up. Then at least one of us would be happy.


*********

I woke to the sound of Sid telling a story.
So Barkie - we should’ve called him Barking, we really should - he’s practically there, he’s got a clear shot, the fans are all yelling his name and Dunajski decides to join in, so he’s yelling Barker, Barker and - you won’t believe this - Barkie turns round to see what he wants, trips over the ball and faceplants, right in front of the fucking goal.”
He n-never.” James’s voice.
“He did. You should have seen the goalie’s face. He was completely gone out. And after that he was laughing so much anybody could have just walked up and scored but it was like one of those dream moments, you know? When you can’t move. We were all stood there like statues ‘cause we couldn’t believe what we’d just fucking seen.”
Was that when Barker left? He wasn’t here w-when I came.” James said.
He wasn’t here for very long at all after that performance,” Sid said. “The gaffer went mental. Well - quietly mental. He doesn’t tend to shout a lot. He gets sarcastic and stuff. When he starts asking you questions, that’s when you know your days are numbered.”
What k-k-kind of q-questions?”
Like - they usually start with something like, what made you think it was a good idea to, and then whatever stupid thing it was you did.”
Oh, those kind of questions.” James sounded a bit brighter. I hadn’t actually got around to asking him anything like that yet. He was so poor at everything, it was hard to pick out one specific thing to question.
I realised at this point that I was in the position of the eavesdropper who hears no good about himself. I supposed I should let them know I was awake, but really, it was so comfortable here. Sid was sitting up with the pillows at his back and I was snuggled up against his side, though how I’d got here I wasn’t sure. His hand was on my head and every so often he gave my hair a little stroke. It was - it was blissful. I hadn’t been in bed with a man for - oh, yes, I’d already decided I couldn’t remember when the last time was. I decided to wait a bit longer before I stuck my head above the parapet and got caught up in the day’s usual hectic nonsense.
You’ve got a cup of tea here, Boss,” Sid said.
Oh.” I sat up. James was sitting on the edge of the bed and I had the feeling he was laughing at me. For once in my life I didn’t know what to say. Here I was in bed with my midfielder and my goalie looking at me. What an odd situation. Should I comment on it or completely ignore it? I had no idea.
I’ll drive you home in a bit, Boss.” Sid, who apparently didn’t feel any discomfort about our mutual state of in-bedness, passed me my tea. “You’ll probably want to get changed and so on.”
Yes,” I said. “I do.” My memories of the past couple of days had now surfaced and I got out of bed and started looking for my over-worn clothes. “I need to buy a paper first thing. If I’m in there with my scandal it’s going to change the shape of the day.”
We’d all better get moving then.” Sid got up and I looked back at the bed with a moment’s regret. It had been - it was something I’d like to do again. No matter how wrong or ill-advised or downright foolish it might be to spend the night with one of my players.
I found myself starting to make plans to ‘accidentally’ find myself stranded here some night and told myself not to be so stupid. I had a lot more important things to deal with today.

*********



Nothing,” I said. I’d read the paper from back to front. Twice. Not a mention.
Maybe he’s going to sell his story to, I dunno, the Daily Mail or somewhere?” James, who had slept on Sid’s couch last night, had come with us in the car. Like me, he was making a brief stop at his own home for a shower and clean clothes. Donato had arranged to meet us at the training ground, driving there in his own car. He was a restless sort, constantly full of energy and he got bored waiting for people.
When everyone and their clothes were finally cleaned up, we set off again, me still brooding over the mystery of the reporter who didn’t write in the night.
I’ve to call at the new stadium,” Sid said.
What for?” I asked.
Fib and Yves went off to stay in a hotel last night,” Sid said. “Donato took em and he noticed you could see where they’re building the new stadium from the window of their room. He told them to walk over and meet us there this morning so we wouldn’t get caught up in traffic trying to get to the hotel. I’ve texted Fib and told him we’re on our way.”
Excellent,” I said, cheering up a bit. I wasn’t in the paper and I was about to see my two new players in action. Interesting.
We’re picking Barry up there as well,” James said. “So he can train with me. He lives just round the corner so we thought we may as well.”
Everyone’s saving petrol this morning,” I said, adding up seats in the Land Rover. “Good thing you’ve got a seven-seater, Sid.”
That’s why,” Sid said. “People are always wanting a lift. I got sick of em sitting on each other’s lap behind me and then I can’t see out the back.”
I looked out of the car window at the other early starters busy going to work and I thought to myself that I wouldn’t change places with any of them. Despite the hassles and stress that came with my job, I wouldn’t want to do anything else. Even without the latest series of events, my life bounced from one crisis to another and job security? Forget it. The Board of Directors’ one guiding principle was ‘what have you done for me lately?’ There was always some other hapless manager they could stick in my place should they take a serious dislike to me or my tactics.
But so far, things were working out. The team and I made a good unit and we’d done nothing but progress over the years I’d been here.
There they are.” James was pointing out of the window at what would be the new stadium; right now a huge mesh of scaffolding surrounded by tall cranes. I could see Fib, thankfully wearing jeans and a t-shirt, together with Yves and Barry, wandering into the centre of it all. Barry was pointing out various imaginary features to the newcomers, where the stands would be and so on, no doubt.
Should Barry and them be in there?” Sid asked as we pulled up by the roadside. He got out and gave a dirty look and a dirtier gesture to a white van that nearly ran into the back of us. The van driver ignored him and swerved around the Land Rover to pull in further down. Construction workers no doubt, I thought. It was about time they were turning up for work.
No, they shouldn’t be in there, not without hard hats,” I said. “Go get them out, will you?”
He hurried into the stadium-in-potentia and I followed more slowly. We’d have to get into the Premier League to pay for this thing, I thought, looking around me at the beginnings of it all. And to be able to fill it, I qualified, there were a lot more seats here than we currently had bums to sit on them. We’d need the additional interest that was provoked by being in the top echelon.
We could do it. I was sure of it. My team was -
The earth shook. I staggered.
What the -?” James, beside me, took a couple of steps sideways, off-balance.
There was a rending, cracking sound, impossibly loud and the ground split in front of us, giving way, collapsing and taking my number one goalkeeper, my midfielder and my two new players with it.
Eh?” James, now on his knees, stared at the huge hole in the ground as if praying to Hell.
Sid!” I yelled, running forwards.
I flung myself down at the edge of the hole.
Sid?” I called. I could hear someone moaning. Was he hurt? Was he, dear God, dead?
I’m here,” I heard. “What the fuck?”
I don’t know,” I said. “Everything just - fell in.”
Tell me about it. Barry’s hurt. I think he’s broke his leg. It looks a funny shape.”
Oh, shit,” I said, managerial hat back on. No decent goalie at all. That wasn’t good. “I’ll have you out of there in no time,” I said, turning to James, about to ask him to ring for an ambulance.
A plank of wood hit me in the face.
I clutched at my bleeding nose as I was dragged to my feet, pulled away from where Sid and the others were stuck down the hole. Two men had me by the arms. I almost screamed as I caught sight of their dead, grey and gory features before I realised they were wearing rubber zombie masks. A third man was holding the plank he’d hit me with and as I struggled, he hit me again in the ribs. While I was gasping over that, they dragged me past James, lying motionless on the floor. I guessed he’d also met the plank.
I started to yell, hoping to attract someone’s attention, though if they weren’t coming running after all the earthquake crash of sound there’d been a few minutes ago, they were probably way too far away to hear me.
Boss?” There was shouting from behind me, sounded like Sid.
I’m being kidnapped!” I yelled, still struggling. This time the plank hit me in the diaphragm and I didn’t feel I could shout any more for a while. Instead I gave the man on the left a good hard kick on the ankle. He yelled and his grip loosened. I pulled myself free but before I could take advantage the plank came down on my head.
I lost interest in continuing the combat momentarily, giving my captors time to rush me out onto the road and into the back of the white van that had turned up at the same time as us. They must have been following us, I realised. Now they wanted to take me somewhere and - whatever. No. I wasn’t having it.
The two who’d held me were climbing into the van after me. Mr Plank must be the driver, I thought. I kicked out with all my strength, but not at either of the men. I kicked at the van’s doors, bursting them back open as one of the men was trying to shut them.
The van set off, accelerating away from the stadium and the man who’d been closing the doors was caught off balance. He grabbed at the door, ending up hanging from it, swinging back and forth over the road as we sped along.
The other man, tastefully attired in a mask with a rubber hatchet stuck in the top, glanced from me to the swinging man, who was yelling to be pulled back into the van. I hoped he’d go to help his mate so I could push him out onto the road but sadly he had more sense than that. He circled me, instead, eyes flicking to the back corner of the van.
I wondered what he had there? I desperately wanted to turn and look in case it was a weapon I could use myself. Even another plank would be handy. My head was spinning and my ribs ached like a bugger, I could do with an advantage. Then I caught sight of what was out the van doors, apart from the clinging, swinging, shouting man.
I abandoned further confrontation and rushed forward, shoulder charging the man in front of me. He hurtled away to the side and I jumped, right out of the van, hoping I still knew how to land from a fall. The man on the door let go with one hand, reaching out to try and grab me, but he missed.
I landed hard on the road, more pain, but I didn’t feel as if I’d broken anything. Now I just had to worry about what was coming up behind me, the Land Rover, Sid’s horrified face gawping at me through the windscreen before he managed to pull the wheel to the left and come to a screeching halt on the pavement, just missing a couple of old ladies with a bevy of small, hairy dogs.
Get down, get down!” I yelled, not sure if anyone was hearing me. Sid had leapt out of the car and was yelling back at me, Yves had followed him and was also shouting, the old ladies were screaming, the dogs were barking and the van had pulled up so that I could see what it was that Hatchet Man had been trying to get to in the back corner.
Is that a fucking shotgun he’s got?” Sid leapt back into the car, me following just as quickly; Yves flung himself across my lap and I pulled the door shut, nearly trapping his legs in it.
Hatchet Man dithered between the doors of his van. He looked from us in the Land Rover to the old ladies and their hysterical dogs to his partner-in-crime sitting on the road beneath the door he’d dropped off. Then he lowered the shotgun and shook his fist at us. Shook his fist. I’d never seen anyone do that before.
By this time we were way gone down the road. Sid reversed into the entrance to a trading estate and turned the car round before setting off again forwards, heading back towards the stadium.
He glanced at me. I looked back at him.
What the fuck was all that about, Boss?” he asked.

NOW GO TO PART 5....

 



 COPYRIGHT NOTICE - THIS STORY AND ITS CHARACTERS ARE COPYRIGHTED.

PLEASE DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THIS STORY ANYWHERE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION.

DO NOT COPY THIS STORY IN WHOLE OR IN PART AND CLAIM IT AS YOUR OWN WORK.

COPYRIGHT ALEX SWEENEY SEPTEMBER 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment